View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 11:31 PM
sew cornie

Kirsten,

I made all of my kids burp cloths and have made dozens like this for baby showers. They are as easy-sneezy to do by using fat quarters . . . no cutting or measuring necessary!

I used birdseye cloth diapers from Target. Got them in packs of 12. (FYI: I found that the non-birdseye ones were too thick for my sewing machine, but my machine is pretty old and basic. The birdseye ones worked perfectly).

For each burp cloth you need:

One diaper, washed and pressed
One fat quarter, washed and pressed
Coordinating or contrasting all-purpose thread

How to:

Lay fat quarter wrong side up. Center diaper on top (I generally just eyeballed it). Pin in place. Zigzag stitch the full length right on top of the two center seams of the diaper. Fold over raw edges of fat quarter, long sides first, and pin. Zigzag stitch along the edge. Fold over raw edges of fat quarter, short ends, and pin. Zigzag stitch along the edge. Voila . . . finished.

It's fun to find FQ's that are just right for the mom-to-be/baby. Roll each burp cloth and bundle in packs of 3 or 4. Handmade, simple, fast, practical, and they can be washed a million times. And they look so much better than just a boring white diaper! :lol:

The pictures are of a few I made for my kids (who are now 3 and 5 years old). Once they are no longer needed as burp cloths, they make GREAT cleaning rags. I use them all the time . . . saves on papertowels when housecleaning.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Jen
Attached Thumbnails attachment-8037.jpe   attachment-8038.jpe   attachment-8039.jpe