View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 AM
DawnFurlong

Originally Posted by rush88888 View Post
walmart, joann and hobby lobby carries fabric that is inferior to that of lqs. i would rather pay for quality so that my quilts might last 50 years or more. you get what you pay for. i only purchase from my 2 lqs. we can always say that it is too bad that a lqs closed; but, quilters help to keep them in business, and if those quilters prefer to purchase lower quality fabrics from the big box stores, lqs might close.
The thought that always occurs to me with this is that - if one cannot afford the fabric at the LQS and therefore cannot make a quilt - there is then not a quilt to be made to last for 50 years. And the joy of quilting is lost to that person as well as to those who would have enjoyed using that quilt.

Many, like me, mix it up. Which is why many say buy the best that you can afford - and don't feel guilty about it. Beautiful quilts are also created from fabric from other sources. Maybe it will last 50 years, maybe it won't - but they are created, loved, and bring joy for whatever time it is they last.

My first quilt was made from fabric from an LQS, around 7 or 8 years ago. It is now faded (no, I have not washed it a bazillion times) and well used. I doubt it will last 50 years - but I sure enjoyed my first quilting experience - and we have enjoyed using this quilt! I'll be interested to compare this quilt with my *new* quilt that is now on my bed. My *new* quilt is made with a mix of fabrics. Also, I have a quilt I made for my daughter, made with a mix of fabrics. It is holding up quite nicely.