Old 07-27-2012, 08:37 AM
DonnaC

Default Refurbishing Grandma's Wood Ironing Board

Hi all! I just unearthed this fabulous wooden ironing board from my basement. It belonged to my Grandma originally, and was passed down to my Mom, and now it's all mine. This is the ONLY ironing board I remember having used growing up! It had a whole bunch of layers of fabric and a really crappy cover on it. Actually, the bottom layer of fabric (right on top of the wood) appeared to be some type of muslin that was nailed all around; it was so deteriorated that I had to use a sandpaper block to get most of it off. I still haven't removed all of the nails around the edge so you'll probably notice them in the picture. Over that layer of what I assume was muslin was a white cloth that looked sort of like an old-fashioned dishtowel fabric. Then a couple of old horrendous-looking ironing board covers that were really worn out.

Anyway, the reason why I'm posting is to ask opinions on what I should cover this with. I'm thinking - a layer of cotton muslin right next to the wood, then a layer of cotton batting, then a layer of insul-brite, then a cotton muslin cover, and then a decorative cover on the very top. Does that sound right? I have some insul-brite but have never used it. I assume it would be great for this type of use because it will conduct the heat back up to the iron (according to the package, anyway!).

Thoughts or ideas, anyone?

Here's the picture.
Attached Thumbnails ironing-board-2.jpg