Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 AM
greywuuf

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
So.... Mr. greywuufy would you be willing to share the spec? Kind of like .xxx" with a pic of where to take the measurements at?
I don't have a Singer Service manual for the 66 and 99s and the others that use that design.

Joe
The only Service manual I have is for my 306W... I can share that spec ( after I get home.. its pdf on my computer somewhere)
I do not know if the spec is the same for other machines. What I do know is if you get it to tight... it drasticly increases the bobin tension and throws the balance way off.( but it does reduce the noise in the hook area that people complain about in the 306's)

I should mention that the Books uses the term "check" to describe the action... as in make sure that the Finger lightly "checks" the thread as is passes through the gap.

if you keep that in mind I think you can come very close without a feeler gauge. it just keeps the bobin thread "in check" as the hook roates.... the spring on the bobin case provide the adjustable tension, but a loop is pulled out and then as the loop passes Around the hook, the bobbin no longer has control of it, the light touch of the "finger" just keeps it from "overshooting" due to inertia...... Does that make any sense? it is really easy to see on the 306 as it has a vertical hook that is oriented towards you as you sew.... so in my treadle with no drip pan I can actually watch the action as I slowly rotate it by hand......and trust me i have spent a GOOD deal of time doing just that.

Last edited by greywuuf; 07-27-2012 at 09:26 AM.