View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Friday1961

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I always measure my quilts through the center, up and down and side to side, I find this works really well and I never have to square them up. They are the same size on both sides and the ends. I put 5 pins in both quilt and border strip, when I sew I pinch both edges in between the pins, sew to that point and then sew to the pin. I do this until the border is sewn on. This may take a few extra minutes but, I figure I have so much time in making a quilt that a few more minutes won't hurt. I am my worse critic and try to please myself. I only make quilts for my own entertainment, although I have given many away. I always make sure I'm pleased with my work. Make yours however it works. Others know what they are talking about.
This is a really great post. And now I have a dumb question (realizing there are no dumb questions): How do you measure your quilts, as in, what do you use? On the floor with a tape measure? On the floor with acrylic rulers end to end? On the floor with a metal carpenter's ruler? It seems to me tape measures are not all that accurate and I know a metal carpenter's ruler can give a wrong reading, since it has no "give" to lay against the fabric. But I don't know of any other long rulers.

Anyone?