Old 07-27-2012, 06:35 PM
moonwork42029

[ATTACH=CONFIG]351860[/ATTACH]

This is my FAVORITE square ruler to use. It shows me how my block squares up. Before I trim them I press them to death! For my own blocks I use heavy starch and it helps me greatly.

If I have a block that has seams that "split" the block into quarters, I line the 6.25" mark on the center seam lines and use the diagonal line to go "corner to corner" then trim off any excess. ( I use 6.25 because your block should be 12.5 or more )

If the block isn't big enough, then I have to add "borders" to all the sides of the block, press / starch firmly and then trim down to 12.5.

I put a piece of blue painters tape on my 1/4" line on my machine...however, I continue this tape down the front of my machine so I have a visual mark to line up my seam well before I get to the needle. I also use a 1/4" foot with the guide on the side of it but I have found the tape is my best method of lining up the seams.

Having a "real" 12.5" block is soooooo very important for your finished block.

As they have mentioned, a "finished" block is one that has been sewn into a finished item. (Pickup a finished quilt top and measure a block) An "unfinished" block is what you have when you do your design layout of blocks before you sew them into a final project.
Attached Thumbnails 12.5-quilt-square-ruler.jpg  

Last edited by moonwork42029; 07-27-2012 at 06:42 PM.