Old 07-28-2012, 12:12 PM
kensington

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
Tip of the day: I was watching a missouri quilt co video and she mentioned setting the block first after stitching the seam then turning, finger pressing and finally pressing. It helps keep the block in shape. I sometimes end up just slightly off and today found that setting press first before flipping makes a big diff in keeping the size. Block was slightly to the left however so I pinned the top to corners to my ironing board, gently pulled one side over to make it square again, pinned, and again in final corner. Sprayed block with starch (never steam if you are worried about perfect seams) and pressed firmly but not moving left or right. Let it cool.. now I have a perfect square not wonky shaped at all. well worth the two extra minutes to get it right. This swapping with other quilters is.. work. I think you guys are GOOD.. this is forcing me to do it right the first time and to worry about those points. I think its simplier with non quilters. A challege is a good thing.
This is why I was scouring blocks to see 1. which ones were my skill level or that I would enjoy doing. 2. Blocks that highlight the one main fabric for the sender I will be making blocks for. I challenge myself to do it right. I have made three since last night with my own fabrics to find them. Only one wasn't 12.5, but a perfect 12. Eleanor Burns also always sets the seam when pressing. I did that too. I loved the second and third blocks I did. Each different, but more about the fabric then my sewing skills. Accurate cutting, pressing, pinning and sewing... makes for a lovely block. Even the simple block becomes a welcome addition to your quilt when it's done right.

I think I did see in the rules not to use starch or majic or anything like that because of allergies? I use it on mine, but I don't think I can on those I am shipping back home to their momma's.