View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 01:10 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Sorry this happened to you!
As already suggested, perhaps do a seamed backing. Another way, would be to join all your scraps together for a scrappy backing.

I guess it's just something to add to the "buyer beware" things to remember when shopping.

I was reading something yesterday that for flannelette, it usually shrinks at least 5%, and often times more! So if your fabric had been 42" to start, that'd be 2.1" shrinkage. PLUS that flanelette may continue to shrink with future washings, until the shrinkage is finished.

The thread count in flannelette is much lower than higher quality cottons, thus why the shrinkage.

I tend to wash flannelette (and all fabrics) as soon as they come into my home in hot water, drying in a hot dryer, to deal with the shrinkage straight up. I usually do this several times when it's flanelette, measuring it each time until the shrinkage stops ... and then I wash it another time to ensure it is. Another thing I was taught a few years ago, that when drying flannelette add some towels to the dryer. For some reason, the battering of the towels as the flannelette dries, helps encourage the shrinkage.

Last edited by QuiltE; 07-28-2012 at 01:12 PM.