Old 07-28-2012, 09:27 PM
AFQSinc

Default Hershey, PA Quilt Odyssey Haul and a couple of pic links

This was my first time going to Quilt Odyssey. I enjoyed the show tremendously. That is probably an understatement. The quilts were out of this world. Half of the show was a Civil War quilt exhibit with some other artifacts from that time period and then the other half were the show quilts. I wish I had photos to share. One special exhibit was of George Siciliano's miniature quilts. He does have a website (Google him) but honestly the photos on his site DO NOT do his quilts justice. For example, one of his quilts is called Epic Proportions and is 13 1/2" x 13 1/2" and has 4,000 pieces. The 144 blocks are all 1" square. Amazing.

I think that the shows should have the quilts photographed and the put into a book. Much like they do for museum exhibits. My favorite quilt of the show was called Astral Burst by Beth Nufer and Shelly Knapp. Here is a link to a photo of it. I did not take this picture it is from the Road2Ca show: http://www.road2ca.com/2011winners/i...front/9771.JPG

If I am not mistaken, this quilt called, "America, Let It Shine"by Sherry Reynolds won Best in Show. If I am mistaken someone please correct me. This link is a photo taken from another show. The quilt is AMAZING in person. http://godutchbaby.blogspot.com/2011...by-sherry.html As an aside (as stated on the website) the quilting was all done on a Bernina 1001. Wow.

I also met a fellow board member Quiltbugger. She was so nice and friendly and I really enjoyed chatting with her. Her husband was also there and just as chatty and friendly.

Finally, to end this long post. Here is my haul for the day. Modest, for sure, but I'm very happy.

4 bundles of wool for applique and one single piece.
Retractable 120" tape measure.
3 spools of 12wt Aurifil for a little machine sashiko-esque quilting.
Spool of fusible thread for machine binding.
Primitive Quilts and Projects, Fall 2012
Bundle of Oakshott. These are some of the finest shot cottons I have ever seen. They literally glow like Dupioni silk.
An African porcupine quill stiletto.

It was a lovely show. I am glad that I went. I gained so much inspiration today. Oh, yes. One other bonus, I saw Pepper Cory giving a piece of her work as a gift to one of my favorite vendors. I didn't even realize it was her until she was gone. I would have liked to let her know how much I love her sashiko hare and heart valentine stencil. I plan to embroider it on a quilt for my husband with the aforementioned Aurifil.
Attached Thumbnails sam_0569.jpg