View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 05:34 AM
CanoePam

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
I'm taking a break from my quilting to embroider onto some little 3 month size onezies for a new great-grandson. However I don't have the smallest size hoop for my Brother; so, I will have to make an applique and sew it on. The pattern that I want to use is so cute, but it seems stiff for the little knit onezie. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I don't know how to reduce the number of stitches in a purchased pattern. The pattern is from Embroider Library.
As someone who has done dozens and dozens of onesies, I am sad to tell you that many (even most) embroidery designs just aren't suitable for super soft knits like onesies. just reducing the stitch count won't necessarily improve the design, and may make it not work at all. I generally prefer outline or appliqué designs. You can use the heavier designs on little sweat shirts in a few months when the weather cols off.

If the design just has to be used on the onesie, use at least one layer of polymesh as the stabilizer and put another layer of polymesh under the onesies when you appliqué the design. The soft knit will not support much embroidery with a tear away like is frequently recommended for patch appliqués.

Pam