Old 07-29-2012, 06:38 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by kcferrel View Post
Yes, you need to go to a store with machines and have them demo, there are some techniques to machine embroidery... stabilizer, thread, designs.... that can be a "gotcha" Do some research then make your purchase, there will always be a machine out there you can afford... Brother has done some very nice things with their software (the machine is basically a computer, nothing more) Each machine will have a proprietary interface.
If you do a little research before you make your purchase you will be much happier in the long run.
I agree, just trying to build up your thread it self is costly. I've gotten to that when I buy a color I buy another one a shade different than it is incase I need it for shading or highlighting. This has always been the case for the designs that I've gotten. I use more water soluable stabilizer than anything else. I check sales and find different ways to make things work. I but the 12in wide roll of stabilzer and then on my larger hoops I run a row of blue painters tape down each side to make it hold better to the hoop; it makes it just enough without buying the really long rolls and wasting part of it. I also save my scraps and patch in some things. I'm doing a project where there is lace which uses 2 layers of WS stabilizer, I hoop one layer and then only put the second layer where the lace is. I can spritz it with 505 and it stays in place. You learn and shop wisely once you start seeing how much you can spend.. Of course then there is the software, that really set me back a pretty penny. My Viking, my software and all of it is so worth it because of the joy I get from creating things now.