View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 08:03 AM
margecam52

I use poly/cotton blend sheets often on cotton quilts. You just need to know that when the cotton shrinks in the top, the backing will not shrink as much...so the back will have a wrinkly/puffy look, more like an antique quilt+.

One thing with sheets...they may look square with their hems...but you have to take all the stitching out and then rip the 4 sides to even out the fabric and "square" it up. I ask customers to wash the sheet at least twice (and dry)...this gets the sizing out & some of the excess dye on dark colors.

I take the stitching out when the quilt top and sheet arrive. I then color test it to make sure it won't still bleed onto the quilt. Once that is done, I treat it like a batik fabric...and have not had any problems quilting it.

Another thing I tell customers...look for the lower thread count...especially on cotton/poly blends...100% cotton...400 count will work fine. Cotton/poly blends...even lower is better.

Unless the sheet is 100% cotton...I don't think I'd use it on a quilt I want to put in a show/contest.

Originally Posted by taj334 View Post
I finally finished my first queen sized quilt top. For the backing I found a 100% polyester king sized quilt set that I could afford. Am I crazy to use the flat sheet for the back? It says it has a 400 thread count. I'm not very good at free motion quilting and plan on splitting the batting so I can quilt it myself.