View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Blackberry

Default Look What I Found

I was in Racine Wisconsin visiting my sister this last week. We went to the Habitat For Humanity Restore facility and I was asking the gentleman there if he had any sewing machines. He showed me this very old Singer Sewing machine which he sold to me for $20. I have never seen one like it. I turned the wheel and it turned very easily with the needle bar going up and down. We plugged it in and it ran very quietly and very smoothly. I am sure this was one used as a treadle and someone has put a motor and a light on it. This machine used the bullet type of bobbin. The serial number says it was mfg in 1889. I know nothing about this type of machine. Does anyone know if the belt on this machine which is hanging somewhat loosely come around and fit on the bobbin widing mechanism? If not, how would you wind the bobbin. The bobbin winder will move forward and backward and will turn if the belt is pulled very tightly around the bobbin winder. However, it is too loose to turn the wheel to sew. Therefore, I don't know how this works!!! Does anyone have a website that talks about this machine. I haven't begun to clean this machine. The decals are so pretty I don't want to make the same mistakes that I did with the treadle that we cleaned up.
Attached Thumbnails singer-sewing-machine-mfg-1889.jpg   singer-sewing-machine-mfg-1889-1-resized.jpg   singer-sewing-machine-mfg-1889-2-resized.jpg