Old 07-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Janquiltz

I have her book - it is wonderful. I have appliqued some of my Mom's old embroidered handkerchiefs onto appropriate color/design cotton background, sandwiched, and then hand quilted a complementary (to the embroidery) pattern on this small wall-hanging. Used pieces of wide old lace (cotton) for the quilt sleeve. Also was gifted with some vintage hand embroidered dresser scarves and such and did the same thing with them. My next project with these vintage linens will be sandwiching some vintage pillow cases, quilting them, and using as wall-hangings. My Mom's old handkerchiefs - now wall hangings - will be gifted to my daughter and grand-daughters. Fun way to re-cycle old linens into something new and practice your quilting too. I also like the idea of incorporating the individual pieces into a larger wall hanging or a throw or bedsize quilt. What a great way to preserve someone else's needlework and combine their talents and pleasures with your own - and create possible heirlooms. Some vintage handkerchiefs might be appropriate for turning into a quilted cover for a Bride's Bible or top for the pillow carried by the ring bearer. Depending on what type of vintage linen they are, they could be re-used in a handbag, tote, skirt, jacket etc. Have fun!