Thread: Tolerance
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 06:45 PM
WilliP

I err on the side of someone sent me their best effort. Allowing for the inconsistencies of some rulers and mats I don't sweat it. I will find a mutual color to frame the smaller blocks and trim the over size ones. I am the last person to say my way is the only way. And I have a beautiful set of blocks awaiting my finishing appliquing the central theme block.

I have sweated blood over exact 12 1/2 inch squares for a project only to end up having to make several new blocks because the constant unsewing made holes in the fabric. Prewashing and using the same rulers and mats through out as well as marking my 1/4 inch on my machine all seem to have helped, however I still have the occasional oops.

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
For my own work, consistency is what matters, not a specific measurement. I don't use commercial patterns, so I'm not aiming for someone else's finished size goal. Consistency, however, pretty much means zero tolerance.

The blocks in the last swap/group project I was in measured from 11.25" to 13". I no longer do swaps...that one ate up the last of my 'tolerance'.