View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 05:54 AM
GramMER

Originally Posted by gollytwo View Post
Am probably the only quilter on the Board who dislikes Gingher scissors and I have alot of them, most of them unused. I prefer Fiskars. The one Gingher exception is their thread clipper - like that alot.
I have enjoyed my Fiskars, and they seem to last a long time. My experience with Gingher scissors has been mostly good, but there was a time when I get a bad pair. They had a snag on them from the time I opened the box. It was like some little kid had cut wire with them or something--of course the company I bought them from denied any responsibility. I have never appreciated that company for cloth or tools even though there seems to be a shop on every corner.

Then another problem with Ginghers has been the person who sharpens them. Once I sent a pair in to be sharpened by a "certified" Gingher sharpener and was to pick them up the next week. They were not done at the appointed time, and I was desperate to have them before we flew back here. Supposedly the man who was to do them would get to it that afternoon, so I agreed. What happened? He took off part of both sides and from that day forward there was no point. I guess the best way to esplain it is to say I could not cut cloth to a point after that. Make sense? My ddil has taken them to several places to see if they could be repaired and each shop has said the scissors are ruined. I do not think it is the fault of the Gingher company, but it probably is the fault of the ones selling or sharpening them.