Old 07-30-2012, 07:04 AM
Greenheron

When I married and moved to DH's little hometown, the Ben Franklin was the place to go. With the T.V. Hardware and the Southern States Co-op, Zeller's Jewelry, hotel, little restaurant, grocery, sandwich shop, barber shop, State Liq. Store, Teen Town, Parrack's Clothing and the Post Office the downtown street was great. All gone, now. And, yes, there was a kind of General Store, The Bargain House with grocery items on one side and merchandise on the other. How I miss it!

Where I grew up we still had tiny neighborhood stores tucked into a room, a downstairs or little building. A one-room grocery with a few staples was four "doors" away from my home. Milk, bread, potatoes, onions, a candy counter. I remember begin allowed to select a candy bar before I learned to read and carefully selecting Milky Way. I didn't want to get a Forever Yours by mistake. Like most kids, I did not like dark chocolate. I also might be sent, all by myself to buy a quart of milk--in returnable glass with the cream on top. M-m-m-m was that milk delicious!

Last edited by Greenheron; 07-30-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: typo