Thread: Tolerance
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 10:44 AM
margecam52

I'm with you Sewnoma! I try to get exact...just does not always happen... My paper piecing is never exact either...and I have lines to sew on! Some came out 1/8" smaller than the others...but this butterfly block from Quilter's Cache is pretty forgiving if you need to fudge a bit. I'm adding a 2-1/2 sashing (cut 3") to seperate each block...so far, can't really tell there is anything amiss. I'll be quilting the black sashing in either rainbow thread, or gold metallic..so that should take the eye off any tiny amout it's off. I'll be hanging it at the back of a booth for display...so, no one will get that close! LOL.

I do longarm quilting & don't mind the wonky tops...they help me hone my skills!

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Since I'm still a pretty new quilter, I allow myself a LOT of leeway! I use the lowest common denominator approach where everything gets trimmed down to the smallest block and sashing makes up the difference. But so far I haven't made blocks that had points or anything that would really show the block had been trimmed.

Plus I tell myself there's a certain amount of charm in a slightly wonky quilt. Though honestly I prefer things to line up, I'm just not all that skilled yet. My first quilt has blocks that are probably a half-inch off - thankfully I've gotten a LOT better! LOL