Thread: Sashiko
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 02:05 PM
quilter1962

Originally Posted by eparys
I took a class at the guild meeting last month on Sashiko. It is an ancient Japanese "art" of mending/quilting from what I learned. It was not as easy as one might imagine. The stitches should all be the same size with equal spacing. Also the gal who taught it told us that the traditional way was not using knots as thread was not easily acquired and often reused!! When you change direction you also leave a small loop.

Here is my first attempt :-) :-) The back shows my novice attempt at no knots and "small loops". I really enjoyed it - I might try it again - Nice thing is you use no hoops!

Here is a link to a better discription I found on the web.

http://www.purlbee.com/sashiko-tutorial/
Ooh love that sampler block. I tried my hand at a little block when I first started quilting we were informed that each stitch should be the size of a grain of rice & equal on the right & wrong side of the fabric !!!!
I bought 2 of the blocks you have done at the quilt show I went to in August, the completed ones that were on display by the vendor were given a 3inch rust coloured border. I have to say they looked stunning.

I may keep these for when I retire in 20yrs time LOL.

Tisha