View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Jenniky

So I have six fairy blocks and six butterfly blocks. I wanted my finished showing block to be 12.5 so my blocks are 13 X 13. I did not square up my blocks until after they were quilted. When I am ready to square up my block I will square them to 13 x 13.

The backing and batting for each block should be at minimal an inch larger all around the block. This is very important. You will most likely run into trouble if you make them smaller or the same size as your top block.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352482[/ATTACH]
For this project I am using a low loft 100% polyester batting. I cut my batting squares 14 x 14. For my backing I am using various tan to brown fats I purchased during a .99 cent sale at JoAnns. Don't worry folks I also support my local LQS and purchase fabric from them also. Actually most of the primary fabrics come from the LQS. I use the same 14 X 14 template to cut out my back how ever I am a little more generous as I cut around the template. The excess from the fat will go into my box to be cut up into premade squares for future scrappy projects.

I cut all twelve of my batting squares at the same time and then set them aside.

With all my twelve top squares pinned to the design board in their proper order (or you can lay them out on a bed or floor) I started cutting out my backing squares. I then pinned them on top of the top blocks in the order I wanted the back of my quilt to look. If you are using all the same color backing squares you do not need to do this step. Just cut all your backing squares and set them aside as you did with the batting.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352484[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dp9-004.jpg   dp9-010.jpg