Old 07-31-2012, 03:35 AM
Holice
Banned

Default Lawn Fabric

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
There is a gorgeous fabric collection at Connecting Threads right now that uses cotton lawn. I have never heard of this. It is described as light-weight, soft and smooth, shear. It sounds like it may look like cheap fabric if it is shear. Have you used this type of fabric before and does it look and last okay on a quilt (one that will have only light use-not for kids, more just decorative)? Thanks.
I believe it depends on the weight. I see no reason not to use it if you use all the same fabric. I have a quilt ade in the 1930's by my grandmother from lawn fabric. While it has not been used very much it is still bright and sturdy. One would need to use care as the weight is different. However, I believe the lawn or voil of the 30's might be a bit different (heavier) than that produced now It makes beautiful quilts because of the color and patterns and batting used. I always say you need to respect the nature of the fabric when using different textures and piece accordingly. I would imagine the design and color is in keeping with the style of the modern quilts.
You might get a fat quarter pack and make a crib or wallhanging and see how it works.