View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 05:51 AM
ptquilts

I have been quilting as a business for the last 30 years. I have sold most of the quilts I made. Once the imports started coming in, sales went way down. What can you do, it is a global economy.

You have to figure out how much you would be happy with. Take a crib quilt. If someone gave you $1000 for it you would be ecstatic. If you only got $5 for it you would be unhappy. Now work in from both ends.

We used to sell them for much more than 3x materials, fabric was only $2 a yard (wholesale) and they were hand quilted. Around $400 and up for a bed sized quilt.

I have had a bed size, hand quilted, small piece scrappy Log Cabin on Quilts For Sale website for about a year, for $200. No bites. They do not have a good way for someone to search if they are looking for hand quilted. I am doing better on Etsy.

ETA - plus, when we started, very few people were making quilts. Now there are something like 20 million quilters in the US, it is getting to be like afghans - every one knows someone who can make them one.

Last edited by ptquilts; 07-31-2012 at 05:56 AM.