Old 07-31-2012, 07:28 AM
DawnFurlong

Default 4th Quilted Tote - brought up more questions

Okay, so I am just hooked on totes right now (though I am working on finishing up my first tumbler quilt in the middle of totes).

My daughter picked the fabrics for this one, wanted it for school/books. I like the colors, and I tried some different combinations of interfacings/fleece. I have some questions that came up in the process - but not sure to post with the picture - or to post that over in the main forum. I'll post here so as not to double post - but correct me if I do it wrong please! :-)

I used Pellon SF101 woven fusible interfacing under the outer fabric, then used Pellon Fusible Fleece. LOVED that (first time using the woven fusible - I will be using it from now on)! I added DecorBond to the lining, as I wanted a sturdier bag. So far so good. But two things.

1. I have read about getting to many layers in the seam allowance and it being difficult to sew. I did not take the DecorBond all the way to the edge of the fabric - which I now believe was a mistake - primarily because now I am wondering at the strength of the fabric in those seams.

2. With regard to the Decor Bond - I am not finding it so fusible. It seemed so at first - but then when tinkering with the bag, edges started coming up. Since I hadn't taken the DecorBond all the way to the seam - it was not sewn down. I ended up adding strips of Stitch Witchery under the edges to reseal it.

I am wondering for those who use Decor Bond (or a similar type fusible) - how do you go about using it? Any problems with the fusing? I followed the instructions on the label. It all seemed fine at first, but did not hold up to all of my tinkering. I like what the Decor Bond adds to the bag - but if it isn't going to fuse down, I might as well buy the sew in stiff interfacing - which I am thinking is probably less expensive than the fusible. Though I am also considering that I could use the sew in with Wonder Under - just because I like things fused.

I already have in mind what I want to make for my next purse/tote. Something in a little bit of a different direction. After I finish up the quilting on my tumbler quilt.
Attached Thumbnails 4th-tote-front.jpg   4th-tote-back.jpg   4th-tote-inside.jpg