View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 05:26 PM
debcavan
Power Poster

Default Passage Quilts really do help

My 102 year old Mother died Sunday during the night. I sat with her until Tom, the funeral director came. I saw the cart with the Passage quilt. We talked for awhile and then he asked me to leave. He brought my Mother out of the room covered with the most beautiful Passage quilt that my quilt group had made. Somehow the quilt over her kept me calm and I was willing to allow him to take her. His kindness in using the quilt somehow reassured me that he would take care with her.

My group has made 10 passage quilts. We have given them to nursing homes, assisted livings, hospitals along with funeral parlors. The heart quilt below is the design of the one used for my mother but it was a scrappy quilt. I quilted it the same way with the feathers across and it had a large feathered border.

The other is another design we have used. A foundation block that has diagonal stripping is the design we now use. The diagonal design is the one that was the easiest for our group to use. Even the beginning quilters sew with us for that design. The quilts are 60" x 90". I use a polyester batting for ease in washing.

I had Tom show it to the family the next day when we made arrangements. They were touched that it had been used. Tom says he hasn't had to wash it. He tries to be very careful of it.
Attached Thumbnails kathy-fs-quilt.jpg   passage-quilt.jpg