View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 05:14 PM
beachlady

I am so excited!!! We went to a local auction tonight and I got a Singer 221 Featherweight for $200.00. It looks brand new and was built in 1946. At the bottom of the case under a thick piece of card board was the original letter from Singer congratulating Mrs.Nahlstedt of Old Greenwich, Connecticut for purchasing the machine. The envelope was post marked April 28, 1947 - finding that letter was almost as exciting as buying the machine! This machine serial # makes it built on September 16, 1946. It also looks like it has all the parts and bobbins etc. I downloaded a manual when I got home. The case is in perfect condition too.

Also in the case was a receipt dated 8/30/99 saying that a complete tuneup and chemical cleaning and lubrication was done for 39.95 by a different owner in Portland, Maine. And now it is MINE!!!

I will post pix in a day or so - computer fix-it man (who has had my computer for a month) called and said he finally has it up and running after telling me it needs a new motherboard and was unable to find one!
I wonder how long it will work! DH is tired of me being on his so much.