Old 08-01-2012, 05:12 AM
Friday1961

Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
I feel like most of you in that being obligated to work on a project takes away the joy and the freedom in a hobby. And I for one have spent a life time working on someone elses schedule and now that I'm retired,I'm living on my schedule.
I do some sewing for charities, but its as I get it done--no set amount within a certain amount of time.
Amen! I am a longtime wife, mother and grandmother and was a senior administrative assistant to an academic administrator, so "demands r us" ruled me for years. I've also sewed a lot of clothes and other things for others, both because I was asked to and/or because I wanted to. When I began quiltmaking (and made some small bags), friends and family suggested I could make money thru Etsy, etc. I'm far from rich but I have zero interest in doing that. In retirement I want to do what I want when I want to do it. Sometimes that feels selfish to me and of course I'm always available for family needs and emergencies. But I don't want to turn what I've discovered is a therapeutic hobby into a "have to" grind. Been there, done that.

Marilyn