View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 02:47 PM
MCH

My Father, who was the one that took all the pictures at all the family events and gatherings, had to hand-off that responsibility for my wedding (many decades ago). He entrusted the task of taking the candids to his friend and neighbor. His friend took his responsibility very much to heart and clicked away after the ceremony. He was there while the receiving line was in progress (which I've since learned is so "old school"...that's too bad as it's a very nice and thoughtful way to thank the couple's guests for attending the wedding) and the reception in the church's fellowship hall. Lots and lots of pix / slides!

Everyone was pleased and delighted with the friend's diligence.

Then, the slides were developed...

Everyone of the pix was a double / triple /quadruple exposure!

As we looked at them, instead of being disappointed, we were delighted with the serendipity. Looking at those slides in order was nearly like watching a video in slow motion.

Everyone (!) was in the pictures. You could almost hear the hubub of all the voices.

The very best one, however, is the one of my Father, standing in the receiving line, wearing a big smile, and having his hands clasped in front of him. He looks as if he's delighted with everything around him. The best thing, tho, is that he is in a perfect oval, framed by exposures of me, my Mom, my new husband, my paternal Grandma, and assorted other family members.

There stood Daddy, perfectly calm and composed, surrounded by everyone and the "chaos".

Yes, we had the "professional" photographer take the formal pix...and those are in an album...along with prints of the slides. Guess which ones are my favorites...

Oh, and why were there so many double-, triple-, and quadruple exposures? It wasn't a camera malfunction. Daddy had told his friend to advance the film after each shot and the friend did...but with only one push of the film advance lever after each shot. Daddy forgot to tell his friend to advance the film until the film wouldn't move. Daddy was a mechanical engineer.

Those are the best pictures of my wedding...44 years ago. Many of those attending have passed away, including both sets of parents and my sister, but I can still hear them laughing, talking, and yes, even singing. With all the exposures we got more than the 36 slides / roll...and memories that are priceless.