Old 08-01-2012, 03:00 PM
irishrose

I don't remember what my mother had pre 1952ish, but about that time, she worked at a department store and used her employee discount to help buy a beautiful turquoise White. As there was no money for luxuries for my mother in the budget, so it was her pride and joy. I wish I had it, but recently settled for a Universal with the same look (made by the same factory as Whites). I always felt I had a stake in that machine because at a very young age, I took care of the house and the other five children so she could work the second job. Grandma had a gorgeous big shiny black machine - it had to be 201. Grandpa only bought the best. By the time I was old enough to sew, she had the a similar machine in electric. Was it the same machine - I don't think so. Another 201, for sure, but not the one in treadle. The treadle may have been in her bedroom now that I think about it. I loved both machines, but only sewed on the Singer for two weeks in the summer. In school we had a room full of very new black 301s.

Last edited by irishrose; 08-01-2012 at 03:03 PM.