View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 06:54 AM
QKO

Organic fabric, and organic yarn for knitting/crochet is all the rage now with young mothers especially who are insisting that everything their infants touch is totally untainted by any kind of chemicals during the entire production process.

The process has to be monitored and certified from the ground (literally) the cotton is grown on (can't have any chemicals used on it for several years before) clear through the looming, finishing, printing, etc.

Only "organic" dyes can be used, and the finishing chemicals also have to be a certain type. The entire process and sourcing of everything has to be monitored and recorded.

That's what makes it so expensive -- sorta like "organic" eggs and other food. They're double the cost of regular eggs.

I always wondered how a truly "inorganic" egg would taste, BTW. Maybe a little like plastic? :-)

Personally, I think the entire "organic" fabric and yarn thing is a bit overblown. It's not clear if there are any proven benefits to it. However, it apparently gives the buyer/user some peace of mind, so I guess in their eyes it's worth the price.

Cindy was required (by the DD) to use organic yarn when she crochet a baby blanket for our grandson when he was born. IIRC, the price of the yarn for the blanket was astronomical, like over 100 dollars. :-0

Last edited by QKO; 08-02-2012 at 06:57 AM.