Old 08-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Skyangel

The first machine I remember was my Mom's Singer 401 in a cabinet that had a knee control (the cabinet originally held my Grandmother's Singer 66). When knits came out in the 70s, the 401 didn't do well and she got a Kenmore that sat on the 401 cabinet. She still has both of them ... When I graduated HS in 78, I asked for a sewing machine and received a Kenmore, basic model, only utility stitches (still have it too). It was my only machine for 25 years. When I started quilting, I wanted a better machine and my best friend and quilter has an old Bernina 830. I looked around and found a used 1090 at the local sewing dealer. That was a great machine but another friend dragged me to see the dealer when the Bernina 440 came out with the BSR (stitch regulator). I ended up selling the 1090 and buying a year old 440 from a private party that was upgrading. I still love the 440 but got hooked on vintage machines about 5 years ago. I've added a 2 Featherweights, an Elna Lotus, 3 Singer 301s (can't leave them at the thrift store), a Viking 6020, a Bernina 910, a Bernina serger, then my Grandmother's 66 turned up in a case at my cousin's house and came to me. I've re-homed a few others that just needed a little TLC.