Old 08-02-2012, 02:19 PM
TinkerQuilts

Originally Posted by harpyquilter View Post
Hi everyone, I have a Pfaff Hobby GrandQuilter and an older Inspira frame. Getting into the "zone" involves a treacherous trek through every mistake imaginable before I finally reach that sacred portal into the "zone"! My problem is that I have a bad back, and by the time I get there, back pain keeps me from fully concentrating on the actual quilting. If I stop for a period to rest, I have to make the journey all over again! Question: Does anyone know of a frame that is more "back friendly"--standing or sitting? When I try to sit while quilting a section, my knees hit the lower rails.
I have the same set up Pfaff Grandquilter and 10 foot Inspira frame. Used to really hurt my back after abut 20 minutes of quilting. My DH picked up a set of those wooden blocks that you put under the legs of your bed to make it higher, and it raised everything up about 4 inches. I can now quilt for a couple of hours before the back pain kicks in.
BTW I'm 5'6", and have degenerative disc disorder, plus a little scoliosis and arthritis in my lower back - just saying that it really worked for me!
The only thing is the Inspira frame has 6 legs and I think the blocks come in sets of 4.