View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 04:12 PM
tjradj

Default Fixed my thread shredding problem

I've been working on a customer's quilt and was just about ready to toss it in the corner with a few choice words because the thread she had provided was a pain. It was shredding just enough to look awful but not break. It seemed to be only when I moved the fabric from back to front. After changing the needle (tried every one) and trying different thread, and all the other checks to do when there was a problem, I finally thought of changing the quilting foot. I have a Janome Horizon and the quilting foot comes with three choices of foot - open toe, closed toe and a large plastic disc. I was using the open toe (my fav). Well, when I changed the foot - the problem disappeared. Then I remembered = I had broken a needle a while before by tugging it the wrong way of course - and it had hit the open toe foot. Sure enough - on close inspection, there was a small burr on the inside of the foot - just enough to catch the thread when it dragged over that part of the foot.
Lesson learned - when breaking a needle - check for damage on the part the needle broke on. Even if you have to use a magnifying glass.