View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 06:03 PM
TheMamaHauser

Question Using Laser Jet instead of Ink Jet?

I am working on a quilt (duh - aren't we all?) and I'm trying to do the print-on-fabric thing.

I tried using our ink jet (Lexmark) and the ink didn't even seem to touch the fabric. It came out white as it went in.

So I said, well maybe I can try my laser jet. It came out very crisp and clear but if I hit it with steam or touch the printing for too long, it starts to smudge.

I'm beginning to think the ink jet problem is more an issue with the fabric - I am using the Moda Bella Solids and in the past, I've had a hard time getting Pigma Micron pen ink to adhere to it also.

I'm thinking of going with a bleached muslin to see if that provides better results with the ink jet.

My big questions are this:

1. Is there a reliable way to "seal" the toner from a laser jet?

2. Has anyone else had problems with certain brands of fabric accepting the ink jet ink?

3. Does anyone have suggestions other than what I've tried?

*Buying the specialty printer-fabric packages isn't an option for this - I need to print upwards of 300 pages to get enough blocks for what I'm doing. I'm using the full-sheet adhesive label adhered to the back of the fabric method and I've been able to use the same label almost 10 times so far without having issues.

This is a picture of my test run so far:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]353262[/ATTACH]

I appreciate any help you ladies can provide!
Attached Thumbnails 2012-08-02_19-52-43_109.jpg