Old 08-03-2012, 05:27 AM
needlefruit

I have been machine quilting, first on a domestic sewing machine and now on a LA, for more years than I care to count. Posts like this, and there have been several recently, really bother me. Never, I repeat never, have I delivered a quilt with a tuck stitched in either the back or the front, and I might add---I never will. However, I must quickly add that I've gone through all kinds of maneuvers to avoid tucks, including ripping out quilting as Bobbielinks stated earlier! Unless both sides of a quilt sandwich are meticulously pieced and square, and most ARE NOT, edge to edge pantographs are out of the question for me--again referencing Bobbielinks' point. Fullness needs to be worked in---a recently completed quilt measured 2 1/2" longer on one side than on the other (a textbook example of wavy border). I've come to realize that customers resent having their piecing 'sins' pointed out to them, so I do whatever I have to do to fix the piecing and charge accordingly. My clientele evidently appreciates that because I always have a backlog. My advice to ANYONE about to send out a quilt for quilting is to look at some of their work. There are all different attitudes among long armers---just like among piecers. Some folks are really anal about their work; some think if you can't see the problem from town, it's all good. One last point: when you find a 'Particular Patty' long armer, expect to pay a little more and wait a little longer for your quilt to be quilted.