Old 08-03-2012, 07:50 AM
amandasgramma

I'm a longarmer -- I try NOT to re-do another person's quilt. They are the quilter, I'm the longarmer. I talk to my customers first about what to watch for. Wavy borders, seams coming apart, dark threads behind white/light fabrics, for example. I've run across every problem and do what I can do. Most do not cause me to spend a lot of time fixing. If a border is too wavy to get onto the machine correctly, I call the owner and have her pick it up to fix or, if it was mailed to me, I ask what they want me to do.

Too many of my customers don't want to take the time to talk with me about what they want and allow me to look over their quilts. I tell them to plan on being with me at least an hour (less time is probably needed), but they seem to busy . I have finally resorted to asking how much they want to spend -- I charge per inch, and give them a breakdown of what it would cost from low to hi.

One thing I would like to suggest to all that hire a longarmer....especially if you send your quilts to them. Let the longarmer KNOW if and when you received the quilt back and if you like it or not. I HATE not hearing if a customer got the quilt --- I worry until I know they've received it and, of course, we all like praise.