View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 04:51 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Yes in deedy do .... it shone clarification right down from the sky!!!
You write very clearly, and put things together in a nice orderly fashion.
(And a scorcher of a day it's going ot be here ... you really don't need to send MORE!!!!!! *kidding*)

I love this quilt-a-long concept ... the closest we can come to a good ol' fashioned IRL quilting bee!!

As Jenniky mentioned about some of her earlier virtual quilting experiences, unfortunately sometimes the typed words, just don't come across, the same as IRL. We can each read the same sentence, and take different meanings. And unfortunately, again, because we are not together IRL, we don't get to see those puzzled looks from each other, and then, are not able to catch them with helpful responses.

Although, I do think that Jenniky is somewhat clairvoyant and will see us.
So be careful, one and all, she's just like Santa, and is watching us all the time!!!
YIIIIKES!!

Can I add some clarification, too?
In post #118, Jenniky writes ... "The excess is helpful in that you can sew off onto the excess and then back on to your quilt top in a different place / angle / direction without stopping and cutting your machine threads."

When sewing "off" the block, I wwas taught to not sew beyond the block's edge (just into the seam allowances). As it says, you are not cutting threads ... and it is best to not cut threads later when you trim the block for the further steps. Why you are asking? Cut threads, can create a risk to quilting eventually unravelling. Likewise, when your borders are 6" and you want them narrower after quilting is done, I've always been told that's a no-no!

I'll add ... this is all about risk.
You can likely get away with it most of the time. Though for me, I like to adapt good habits and minimize my risks. I tend to use the same quilting techniques whether it's a novelty wall hanging that will never be laundered or a child's quilt that will endure repeated washings. That way I don't have to remember to do it differently, as that's the time I surely will forget!!! I just don't want my quilts to fall apart right after ....... or when laundered ......... or years later!

Only from loving use and lots of hugging and cuddling do I want my quilts to fall apart!! That's totally permissable!