View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 05:13 AM
AshleyR

My husband works at home, but he's not getting enough hours right now. He works 20 hours a week doing tech support. It does come with full benefits and other perks. We're really really hoping when a new hardware comes out that he will get more hours. The company he works for is world-wide but they put an ad locally that they are hiring for the city we live near. He has to have a dedicated office with his own phone line and high speed internet. They provided his work computer (and it cannot be used for anything other than work) and reimburse for the phone and internet. We had to purchase a desk and chair that met their qualifications (no sitting at the kitchen table!!) and he keeps an air conditioner running when he's working to help cut out the background noise. He got lucky with his schedule, that most of the time, he works while I'm working, but he could have just as easily gotten night hours, which wouldn't be as good, but do-able. He does have a set schedule and is required to work those hours (can't just log in anytime like I could when I worked for the Psychic Friends Network!).
Which brings up my work-at-home experience: several years ago, I worked for a 900 number. I made some really good money, but could log in and work as many or as few hours as you wanted (I think they did make a minimum of 5 hours a week or something like that). I was not an employee. However, my Ex didn't like me being home so I had to get a job outside the house. I don't know if they still have 900 numbers anymore, tho. I'd love to be one of the "Do you have a question? Chat operators available NOW" people but I wouldn't want to do phone work from home again. I also ran a very successful child care center at home (up to four children without a license) and would do that again if I lose my current job.