Old 08-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
I saw it last weekend at the Sewing Museum garage sale and didn't buy it. It was the one I had a bit of buyers remorse about. I was going to call the next day about it, but DH went back into the hospital and I just didn't think about it again. Jenn called Thursday and said she was going back to get another load and the lady still had the 301 and was I interested. She had lowered the price, so I jumped on it. Jenn brought it to me along with the WW9 irons. The machine runs great, needs a bobbin holder and maybe a repaint. It is a 1952 Singer 301 (no A) Where the paint is worn through it is black, so either it was a repaint, or the base coat was black and then it was painted over. The "official" color is soft beige. Looks more Mocha to me, but I'm not an expert on these. Anyone, have any input???
The cabinet is the blonde wood trapezoid shaped cabinet, called the spinet. It is pretty neat the way it opens out. Mine needs some repair and restoration---Oh Skip???? I've got questions for you----
I think I got my $20.00 worth on this deal.

Texas Jan
The cabinet the 301 came in is affectionately called a "Trappy" and is in demand. The machine is just really scuffed up and needs love. It doesn't look like a repaint at all. It would be a good candidate for a repaint job, though. Be prepared to spend up to $40-50 for a vintage bobbin case. There are repros. on the market but I would only buy one that has been tested. The cabinet is worth what you paid. The machine would be good to fix up or use for parts, so looks like you did good.