View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Jenniky

Default ATTACHING THE UNITS Part II

Now we are ready to attach the first unit to the second. Lay the blocks right sides together. At this point just the top layer of the sashing is going to get sewn to the second quilted block using a quarter inch seam. The back piece of folded sashing should be finger pressed out of the way. Make sure all your edges line up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]353659[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]353661[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]353662[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]353663[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]353664[/ATTACH]

I actually found that putting a few pins holding the heavier quilted blocks together helped once I took it to the machine. The weight of the quilted squares pulled a bit because I currently do not have my Machine sitting down into a sewing surface.

EEK!!! I didnt take pictures of sewing the seam. Oh well.. Sew a 1/4" quarter inch seam.

Now open the two attach blocks flat with the top side facing up. Lightly press with iron. Now turn the two attached units over and press down the folded back sashing over the raw edges and seams.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]353666[/ATTACH]
Your quilt blocks should be just butting up to each other. If there is a lil overlapping or bunching you can trim a bit to make sure the squares lay flat AND nicely butted up to each other, otherwise you could end up with a lump under your sashing.

OPTIONS: There are two ways to finish the back folding flap. You can hand sew it using a Blind Stitch like you would use on the binding of your quilt or you can machine sew.

It was easier for me to Hand blind stitch the fold closed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]353677[/ATTACH]

I am going to share with you my attempt at machine stitching the flap closed. I found that the best way for me to gauge where my seam would end up on the front was to pin from the back to front and check where my seam was going to lay in front. Several frogging incidents later I had an acceptable seam showing front and back. (If I continue to practice, I am positive I will get better at the machine seam option.) The straighter your back seam the better results on the front side. Pictured below I almost had a perfect SID when I turned it over to show the front side.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]353670[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]353678[/ATTACH]

Because the sashing is so narrow the batting is fine being held together by two seams. When doing variations of this technique we will discuss other possible applications to your batting to help when you are using a wider sashing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]353679[/ATTACH]

This is my second row I have completed. The next tutorial post will be on attaching rows. LOL
Attached Thumbnails qayg-attaching-019.jpg   qayg-attaching-020.jpg   qayg-attaching-021.jpg   qayg-attaching-022.jpg   qayg-attaching-023.jpg  

qayg-attaching-027.jpg   qayg-attaching-032.jpg   finish-attaching-002.jpg   finish-attaching-001.jpg   finish-attaching-003.jpg