View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 AM
RugosaB

Originally Posted by crashnquilt View Post
I realize I may well get blasted for this post BUT I just gotta say these things anyway.

If you have a top like a pinwheel or kalidescope (sp) block there is quite a build up of fabric in the center of the block. You may have pressed, ironed, hammered, steamed, steamrolled, ran over, hammered more, and the like to flatten that center. Okay, it looked really good on your ironing board. Well, give that block a bit of a stretch. That center will pop up. It isn't that you may have pieced the block wrong, it is just the nature of the beast. Now a LAQ has to figure out a way to quilt that block AND have the center lay down. Please remember, the center seam of that block is THICK! When we go to quilt over it our machines may get stuck in the fabric. For most of us, the only way to correct this problem is to turn the machine off, turn the flywheel to lift the needle, then turn the machine back on. In most cases, this will appear as a skipped stitch. Worse yet, when the machine gets to the fabric build up, our hopping foot may not be able to clear the build up and kind of "push" the center to one side. Then we always face the problem of the needle breaking at the intersection. (I have learned the hard way to never quilt without some kind of eye protection) I have had to replace eyeglasses from broken needles that have put a chip in my lens right in my line of sight.
Thank you for a great post.

I have a question:
Did you include this part just to explain to us WHY a LAer has a problem here, or are you telling us so that this problem can be avoided?
Other than pressing the heck out of it, is there a way to really minimize the problem? Or do we just need to understand it's possible this type of situation may not be perfect?

Is a 'twisted seam' one that the seam is pressed one way and then midseam it changes direction?

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to do this