View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 01:57 PM
JustAbitCrazy

Originally Posted by BarbM32 View Post
The original post and all comments following are very helpful. So far my backings are one piece but if I do need to piece it will be across not up and down. Would this be more helpful to a LAQ???
Hi, Barb- For me, it doesn't matter which way the seam in the backing goes, because I can always load the quilt sandwich sideways if the seam is a vertical one. The longarmer wants the seam to be parallel to the rollers so that the entire seam goes over the roller all at once. If the seam runs perpendicular to the rollers, it keeps building up on itself, making a thick area, and the fabric on either side is lifted up, and can not lay flat. Seams in the backing become a problem when there is more than one seam, and they go in different directions. The thick areas are unavoidable. Also (not sure if this was mentioned--I read all the posts, but memory's not what it used to be, lol!) the seam in the backing (which should be a half inch seam, as mentioned, without selvedges attached), should be pressed open. Hope all this makes sense.