Old 08-06-2012, 03:42 AM
Holice
Banned

I use three or four pencils
I have had good luck with the newer ceramic mechanical pencils. I use the white lead one on black batik and it brushes out very well.
Also.....the Multi-Pastel chalk pencils made by General Pencil Co. They can be found usually (if not in quilt shops) in the art pencil sections of most craft stores. I use the white and light gray and sometime the dark gray. I avoid any chalk pencil that has color in it, especially the yellow. My theory is that a colored pencil might have a lot of color pegment in it. I also use the black washable graphite from General. The name is Sketch-n-Wash. It has a thick lead but sharpens good and will also rub off and erase even on white and off white fabric.
Now having said this......there are other pencils on the market that indicate washable. Always test before using to make sure they perform as you want. There are other colors in the mechanical ceramic pencils but I have not used them due to their color. I also use the soft white erasers but be sure they don't have any petroleum in them. The A-1 from General does not have oil so doesn't smudge. I als use the pink pearl rubber eraser as it leaves a clean erase.
I also use the lint brush found usually in the pet department of the stores. It is a black oval plastic type material. This is working well as a brush and eraser.
With any chalk type pencil, I do recommend that as much of the surface chalk be wiped off before washing as chalk will cake. I used the dark gray Multi-Pastel on a light tan fabric and had to spray with spot remover to get it all off but it did come off. I also recommend sharpening often as it keeps the points sharp and less breakage in the lead.
The Multi-Pastel is chalk and clay. The clay gives stability to the chalk. Quilters have also said they occasionally put the chalk pencils in the freezer to re-hyderate the chalk and makes it easier to sharpen.