Thread: Hand quilting
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Steve

The queen size I’m working on for my Brother’s family is an ‘easy’ crosshatch pattern, but still it is time consuming when done by hand. Leslee has encouraged me to go ahead and give the machine quilting a try though my family has seen the hand stitching and expect it now. Mom said that the kids (niece and nephews) wouldn’t appreciate it as much till they’re older, and told me not to spend a lot of time quilting. In my mind though that is a cop out since yes, they will get older and hopefully still have the quilt. What would they think of me then when looking at something less than what I’ve done for others?

The original plan (don’t you just love how they change daily?) was to do them according to size so that my skills would improve as I worked to larger projects. In making the Double Irish top for my brother my thoughts turned to diving right in and having no fear. Now well, I’m not so sure.

My mantra: One stitch at a time.

I don’t think I’d ever be able to offer my DNA (hand stitching) for any price. It’s a heck of a lot of work no matter how you slice it. If anyone grumbles over an extra zero in the checkbook, I say let them deal with it; that’s simply their price for admission.

Value your work or no one else will!