View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 08:50 AM
IAmCatOwned

Honestly, unless you are going to garage sales, it's generally better to use new fabric on clearance than getting old used clothing.

That said, I needed to make a 'car blanket'. Salvation Army store gals told me when the last day of the clearance sale was for end of season clothes. I went the last hour and bought whatever I needed for the car blanket (shirts were about 25 each). There are a lot of people around here without jobs or poor and that is where they buy their clothes, so that gave them maximum time to get the stuff. I do not have a picture of the car blanket, but it was just boring squares and meander quilting. For batting, I used Warm and Natural and the backing was some misprinted flannel that I bought at a garage sale for $1. It's in my BILs truck. I can say with certainty though, that for what I paid for the shirts and the resulting usable fabric, I could have made a nicer quilt using clearance fabric at Joanns or Hancocks. I was at Hancock's the other day and some of those cotton clearance fabrics were only $2 a yard.

Many quilts from the 30s and 40s simply used an old blanket for the 'filling' and tie them. If you plan to tie, I recommend using a coupon and getting the poly off the roll over at Hancocks'. Really warm and the loft holds up for a long time. Please Note: If you double the thickness, it results in a blanket that may be too warm.

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 08-06-2012 at 08:54 AM.