View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 12:15 PM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
VagabondIndigo and VickiM ... My complements to both of you for the matches being nice and straight and square on your quilts. I haven't done this QAYG technique, have liked the concept, and have been wanting to try it thru this thread ... though I have had hesitations, as store samples in several stores that I've seen done have not fully matched up or been straight and square. What a turn off .... and you've proven, it does not need to be such!
Can I join? The method she has been showing is exactly how I did my flip flop quilt and the one I just finished called my nature QAYG. The third picture is the back of the nature one. These are my nr. 1 and 2 quilts of this type I've done.

Currently I have 2 more started--one with odd blocks which will be a scrappy quilt--hope it turns out decently as I'm not really impressed by my blocks--I need a killer sashing fabric. The second one I have started but not finished is one where I embroidered some bluebells on 17 - 9" squares and will alternative them with a patterned fabric that is quilted.

Anway, here are my first two. I'm completely satisfied with both of them. The nature one, I made 1/2" seams instead of 1/4" seams so my sashing ended up being 1" wide instead of 1/2" wide. I like it as well but I also really, really like how the flip flop quilt turned out.

I did all of the finishing of the strips as hand work. The two I'm doing now, I'm going to try to machine stitch the strips down.
Attached Thumbnails flip-flop-quilt-top.jpg   nature-sidesmaller.jpg   smaller-floral-side.jpg