View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Dolphyngyrl

I love my brother from walmart, take it to class every week, the SQ-9050. Not to mention in my class my machine sewed more beautiful buttonholes than some of the expensive machines. Inexpensive brothers are just fine for quilting needs. As for the refurbished ones, you really have to make sure they work right when you get them. The first one I got of my xl-3500i was a lemon and wouldn't sew a thing, the company sent me a new one quick and six years later I still have it and it still sews beautifully and yes its another cheapie plastic brother. I packed it away for my daughter last fall. She loves sewing already and shes almost 3. I do have my expensive babylock thats made by brother but my little one can do most of the things my big one can and just as nice, the big one is just more heavy duty which will be good if I ever do sew for long hours more often. But as I always say for occassional quilters that do this as a hobby say weekends because they work and sewing is not their career to make money off of than the cheap machines are perfect for them.You only need an expensive one if you are sewing long hours every day causing more wear and tear on your machine.