View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 04:31 AM
Johanna Fritz

Default Quilt from Clothes etc reply

Originally Posted by prairie_girl View Post
With the price of fabric and everything else rising it is getting harder and harder to afford fabric for quilts. Although there are lots of beautiful fabrics out there, I would rather put food on the table for my kids.

I am wondering if anyone makes quilts using old clothes and if you have pictures of these quilts to show. Is there anything in particular you look for when purchasing used clothing for quilting? What do you use for batting?
I have a stash of "plaid" type shirts as my boys outgrew them that I use. Yes, I use silk and cotton shirts from Goodwill, well washed and extra rinse in hot (not silk). I also hand dye cotton sateen (white on white) vintage table cloths and napkins. These can be found at rummage sales very inexpensively. I recently got a table cloth equivalent to 6 yards of fabric for $1.00. I use regular batting. Dyeing is REALLY simple, contrary to popular opinion. i have had 5 back surgeries, and I can to it. If you want more information, check out Candy Glendening. She is online at "Candied Fabrics." She has an online 101 and 102 class. Here is a photo before and after.
Attached Thumbnails cotton-sateen-before.jpg   after-1.jpg