View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 04:34 AM
WilliP

You might want to showcase the focus --rockets--- in say an 8" square then do the other fabrics in some combo that makes an 8 inch square. I used a pattern from Quilt Harbor called Split Rail Surprise for one for my great nephew. The focus fabric was cut 8 1/2 inch squares and the 4 co-ordinates in 2 1/2 inch strips pieced then cut into 8 1/2 inch squares. Framed around the focus fabric and it turns out wonderful and fast.I made a pillowcase to go with it to keep the quilt safe in shipment --Beau enjoys his "Where the Bears Are" quilt. You could scale down to 6 1/2 squares and the strips would be cut at 2 inches ( think I have the math right.)

Originally Posted by quiltinmom View Post
I've had the hardest time with my latest project--a quilt for my baby boy due this fall. I went to the fabric store no less than 3 times looking for fabric (I usually pick the pattern first, then get fabric to match, but I did it the other way around this time). The first two times I ended up leaving empty handed, frustrated that all the fabrics were too feminine--even the blues were covered in flowers and hearts. I finally found a really cute rocket ship fabric, and bought 4 other colors (with subtle patterns) to match. They are perfect together. Then I thought I had the block all picked out, but now I'm second guessing it. I was going to use a star pattern to go along with the rocket ship theme, but with the size of print it seems like the pieces will be too small to really see the print. The rocketships are about 2 inches in length or so, and 1-2 inches apart. I don't want that adorable print to get lost in tiny pieces. And I want it to be different from the quilts i've made for my other kids. Most of the "traditional" blocks seem too grown up for the personality of the fabrics. I could do just 6 or 8 inch squares all pieced together, but that doesn't seem very interesting (or as much fun to make). Then I thought I might use the coordinating fabrics to make the top, then use the rocketships for the back....or save the rocket ship fabric for something else entirely (but I have no money to buy more fabric). I just can't seem to find the right way to put these fabrics together.

Anyway....where do you get your inspiration? I can't seem to find mine.