View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 05:33 AM
liese

Originally Posted by Seaside gal View Post
I have my doll from 1946 and the fabric body is ok. The arms and legs have no holes or tears but are some sort of vinyl that has discolored terribly. The head is good, eyes still open and close, no wig. I was going to toss her out and my husband brought her back from the trash. Now I have decided to keep her but I would like to replace the arms and legs. Her name is Twila. What do you think? Is she worth keeping? Should I make some clothes for her and leave as she is or get new limbs? Where would I get new limbs?
Being a collector of antique dolls and having restored many, it is best to leave them in their original condition. You should see if you can find out what she was originally dressed in when she was new and make her a new dress just like it. Depending on size, sometimes older small children's clothing can be adapted to fit. Good luck and enjoy her! I've got almost 100 dolls hanging around in display cases at my home starting with the German bisque heads from back in the late 1800's.