View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

We tried a Sleep Comfort several years ago, but my dh *hated* it! He willingly packed it up and carted it back to the store -- no small job.

I strongly recommend against getting a pillowtop mattress. They always develop a sag. Purchase a separate soft covering mat if you really want a soft layer on your mattress. Personally I think a good mattress should not need the pillowtop anyway; it's a selling gimmick that looks attractive but does not hold up over time.

I also recommend *not* getting the thickest mattress in the store. My dh insisted on getting absolute top-of-the-line, and I hate the fact that I have to spend so much money on sheet sets (in order to get adequate depth). Plus, the mattress is so heavy dh has to put the sheets on for me. (I should add that dh insisted on the pillowtop too. The pillowtop has developed a sag.)

The brand that has given us the most satisfaction is Stearns and Foster, and the best mattress we ever had from them was from the top of the middle of their line. It was a reversible mattress (pillowtops are not reversible) that featured something like primarily cotton fabric on one wide for cool weather and primarily silk fabric on the other side for warm weather. It lasted forever without sagging in the middle, and it provided just the right amount of support. (Years ago I got an extra firm posturepedic, thinking it would be great for my back, and it was way too firm. A too-firm mattress will create problems with pressure points on your body.) I think the ability to flip the mattress over helped with longevity too.

Last edited by Prism99; 08-07-2012 at 09:11 AM.